Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Joe: Part One

Somewhere about mid-way through January I was given the chance to work a horse for one of my local riding buddies, Jerry. I had already worked one horse for him, Jack, and now I was to be given the chance to work another, Joe. Since Jack and Joe came from the same local halter stud I pretty much knew what to expect... a slow moving, scared of nothing, good weekend trail horse. As with all the other horses I have started/worked with, on the first day I put him through his paces just to see what he might already know. I can honestly say that I wasn't exactly surprised that I could do just about anything I wanted to to try to scare him and he just wouldnt budge. Some might say "Oh thats just wonderful, less work for me," and in a lot of ways it is a good thing, but... if he is afraid of nothing, then how do I get him to do anything!!! Normally, using traditional natural horsemanship techniques you use the horses natural fears to first sensitize the horse to get it to move its feet and do what you want, and then desensitize the horse to the scary object. With Joe, I have to rely almost completely on his willingness to please by doing what I suggest... its that or find a cannon to try to sensitize him.

1 comment:

Kathy K said...

Hey Chap,

Post some more stuff....where's Joe Pt. 2. And what about Fancy?