Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Bye-Bye Blue


First off, sorry for waiting so long to post. Lately I have gotten a little wrapped up in school because I'm now halfway through my senior year, YEAH!! But, excuses aside, I've got great news. Just a few days after Christmas Blue's girl, Paige, came down for what would hopefully be her last visit before she took Blue home. Since she was going to be down for a couple of days, I wanted her to come and work with him while I was around. Basically all I had to really encourage her to work on was being the "alpha horse." Backing down from Blue had already gotten Paige in trouble once when he kicked at her. Once he figured out that kicking was all he had to do to get rid of her he decided to stick with it for a while until I showed her how to "redirect" his energy. After showing Paige some exercises that helped her demonstrate her superiority like yielding the hind-quarters and backing him out of her personal space, she was really ready to ride. Of course after a month and a half of almost constant riding he was no problem for her to ride. Unfortunately, Paige had to get home for a family dinner and we didn't get to do all we wanted.
A couple of days later Paige was ready to come and get her horse and take him home. I sure wasn't going to pass up another day to work with her and Blue together so by the time she got here I had Blue all tacked up. After the last of the basics, which took almost no time at all because they're both fast learners, I showed Paige all of Blues tricks (i.e. standing on the saddle with the tarp and vaulting on to him while he was trotting around the round pen). Needless to say she was impressed but I still had one more trick up my sleeve. Just when Paige was ready to dismount and go home I told her to ride to the center of the round pen. If she was up to it I was going to get her to stand on Blues back. After a little confidence and balance building, Paige took the final bend out of her knees and stood up straight and proud. With my final consent that Blue was ready to go home she packed him up in her Grandpa Joe's trailer and we said our final goodbyes.


1 comment:

Emily Thomas said...

Great Chap! As always, your big sister is proud of you :)